At last Autumn!

The last few weeks have been quite busy though there is not a lot that I can show you.  Autumn has finally come to tropical Cairns and there is now actually sunshine between the odd shower of rain.  The grass is still leaping out of the ground needing to be cut at least once a week and the temperature usually hovers around 30 degreesC with the humidity often around about 60 percent.  Peter has started a massive clean up in the garden to get it all nice for the winter months which is the best time of year here and sees us all come out of hibernation.

In the studio the design wall has been stripped bare and is gradually being filled with the latest design commission.  I just love a blank canvas to create with.  Lots of different fabrics have been taken off shelves and out of storage boxes, played with and often put back while I decide on a colour pallette to work with.  This is the best part of my job and I just love it.

While all this has been happening I keep thinking about what things in a finished quilt are most important for me.  Some of the things I like are -
  • colours that are harmonious but still offer some contrast
  • using different print fabrics of a similar colour value to add texture
  • creating structure in the overall design
  • a quilt that hangs straight
  • a reasonable standard of piecing and applique while not getting too hung up on perfection.
What type of quilt pleases you?

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Shirley said…
Hmm, have to give some thought to this. I love seeing quilts full stop and often the ones I like are ones that I just wouldn't stitch myself but I enjoy them all the same. I also don't see any faults in other peoples quilts but would worry if mine didn't quite make it. I think above anything else a quilt has to make me feel happy.
Merilyn said…
It's nice in the tropics that the garden can have a bit of rest and benefit from a bit of a cleanup at the very least - I have mine parred down now for winter but I'm in the subtropics LOL! We get more of a winter than you do up there LOL!!!
For me just having the thing finished is pleasing! That I can either put it on the bed or hang it on the wall to enjoy it everyday is also pleasing. I love the visual texture of the quilting as the light on it changes during the day! I tend to go for traditional designs so there is a timelessness about my quilts' patterns and just to sit with a cuppa and daydream on them is very comforting/meditative!!!! I am a bit finicky about my piecing because I don't like things out of alighnment - that would annoy me like a crooked picture on the wall, I'd have to straighten it up LOL!!!!
Sue said…
Thinking about what quilt pleases me, makes me think I am fickle, as I love Reproductions ( not dingy but strong colours) right across the board to the Kaffe/Amy Butler style quilts. Theres not much I don't like!But of course for me, they must be straight and square. I'm a bit of a perfectionist!:-))
Joy V said…
Hi Frances - you and Peter must be happy now that the rains have started to ease up.
What do I love about working on a quilt - I didn't have to think much about this - I actually enjoy the whole process - from choosing a design, selecting materials, cutting/sewing to binding and labelling. What I like about looking at someone else's quilt - for me it is not so much as the workmanship - it could be made by someone who is very new to quilting or very experienced - but more about the choices the person has made (if they tell us why)and the joy that the quilt brings to their or the recipient's life.
Jen said…
HI! Frances,Our Autumn weather has been very pleasant here on the mid north coast just starting to get cooler these last few days.
I so enjoy other peoples quilts and admire them greatly.I would like my quilts to be straight, square and even.The same goes for appliqued quilts. I like my quilts to be correct.I think I am into the structured look.
Radka said…
It sounds like "spring cleaning" in the autumn :))
Linda said…
Hi Frances, so lovely to see your garden photos, and hear how excited you are at beginning a new project. I love everything about a new project, be it a quilt or a piece of embroidery. I love planning, choosing, and finishing well, but I absolutely loathe putting things away, as I often forget where I've put them. Sorry I've been absent, but we needed to go away for a few days. Parcel arrived, thanks to Peter and girls!!

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project