Blogger's Quilt Festival

 
Its that time of year again when Amy over at Amy's Creative Side is organising an online quilt festival so I thought I would add my quilt "Concerto for Mixed Peel" to the all the fun. 
  
"Concerto for Mixed Peel" by Frances Leate
This quilt is approximately 78" square and has been created using the Orange Peel block in three different sizes.  The blocks were hand appliqued using the fusible method with blanket stitch.  I chose this method of applique as I needed a very portable project at the time and this proved to be just the thing.  I  quilted "Concerto for Mixed Peel" on my Bernina 440 machine in a simple style and then added the scalloped edging.  It was commissioned by Australian Homespun magazine and the brief was for a quilt using the orange peel block, thirties style fabrics and to be bright and fresh in colour.  The project was published in Homespun No. 105 Vol 13 No 2.
 
 
Till next time
Frances

Comments

susis quilts said…
dear frances,i wish you good luck for this wonderful quilt,susi
I struggled to make neatly sewn Orange Peel blocks which makes me admire your quilt even more!
Wow, what a beautiful quilt! 30s fabrics are among my favorites and I love the scalloped edge.
Susan said…
Wow! All those orange peel pieces!! What a feat! Great quilt Frances!!
I adore the way you have done the binding and edge - and the whole quilt! It has such a light cheery feel for having all that intense piecing. Great color choices!
straythreads said…
Your quit is gorgeous, Love the scalloped border. ann
Lonci said…
Very stunning quilt:)))
Karen said…
I like the way this quilt appears to grow out from the centre. It looks great. Gorgeous colours and the scalloped binding is lovely.
serendipity said…
Wow!, what an amazing quilt. If I had a fraction of your talent I would be very happy! xx
Alison V. said…
How beautiful! Great color choices!
Emily said…
Your quilt is lovely. I like how you used the block style to unify all the diverse fabrics, even as you changed the size of the block.
Gorgeous! Even the name captivates my imagination. Awesome work.
Marie said…
This is really pretty - the 3 sized of the pattern is a wonderful idea and your layout is perfect, right down to the scalloped edge. Great colours too.
Linda said…
I just love this quilt Frances, and so pleased I managed to purchase the magazine from town. The different sizes give it a somewhat three dimensional visual effect in my opinion. Cheers.
Robin said…
Oh, I love this quilt! Beautiful!!! I just love the look of the graduating orange peel sizes as well as the scalloped edges. Thanks so much for sharing!
Quilting Babcia said…
I love the orange peel design and hope to make one someday. I love the fresh bright look of the color palette you chose.
Elle said…
What a fabulous design! Amazingly effective - isn't scale a wonderful thing! I'm not usually a fan of '30s fabrics, but you've made a quilt I adore!
Every Stitch said…
What a beautiful fresh quilt Frances - well done! and i love the curved binding - suits it perfectly
Every Stitch
Jen said…
Hello Francis Your quilts are so beautiful and the needleturning applique is just amazing. I love the scolloped edgeing on Concerto ready for the Quilt Festival. Thank you for showing these quilts.
Nana said…
Just beautiful...love the scalloped border.

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project