Framed

For a long time I have regarded my quilting style as traditional with a leaning towards blocks and borders while using fabric designs from the reproduction through to more modern styles.  I have an ongoing love affair with medallion or framed quilts and one of these designs has been published as a project in Quilters Companion's latest issue of "Precut Fabrics No. 2".
 
"Mary Mary Quite Contrary" by Frances Leate - Quilts from Precut Fabrics No 2
This design predominantly features the block "Contrary Wife" and as Mary is a name that predominantly features in the family the quilt is called "Mary Mary Quite Contrary".  My brief was for a precut friendly design so I selected twenty fat quarters all with a bright floral theme and started work on EQ.  Usually when I design a quilt I jot down a starting point and then let the quilt evolve but this time I could see exactly where I was heading and was able to draw up the whole 82" square quilt on EQ and quickly get cutting.  The quilt was machine pieced and quilted by me on a domestic Bernina machine.
"Mary Mary Quite Contrary" by Frances Leate
Some medallion quilts take a lot longer to make such as "To Have and To Hold" which became a favourite travelling project as most of the quilt was hand pieced and then machine quilted by me on my trusty Bernina.  This project was published as a project in Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol 21 No 4 and also featured on the cover. 
"To Have and To Hold" by Frances Leate
A favourite medallion quilt that I designed as a teaching tool was "Borders Abound".  This is a borders sampler quilt where I used an Aboriginal design as the centre and then played with lots of border variations.  It was machine pieced and quilted and featured as a project in Australian Patchwork & Quilting No 17 Vol 3.
"Borders Abound" by Frances Leate
 
Another of my medallion quilts that was hand pieced and needleturn appliqued was "Days of Wine and Roses".  This project was published as a project in Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol 18 No 11 and also featured on the cover.
"Days of Wine and Roses" by Frances Leate
A favourite quilt that often hangs near where I work in the studio is "Turned to a T" which was machine pieced and appliqued using the needleturn method.

Till next time
Frances

 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Shirley said…
Wow Frances.What a lovely vibrant quilt you have made there. I have enjoyed seeing your other quilts too. That is some feat of endurance to get those big quilts through a domestic sewing machine.
Jenny said…
Just a beautiful selection of medalions - love your new quilt too.
You are a very talented quilter.
Radka said…
Wow Frances, you just keep coming up with such wonderful quilts :-)
straythreads said…
Beautiful what fun to see your
"quilt show" you are so talented!
ann
Joy V said…
Con gratulations Frances on another pattern published. Love, love, Mary Mary Quite Contrary - the colours are fantastic.
Karen said…
These are all very beautiful quilts. Each one is so different but all are lovely.
LuAnn said…
Oh Frances, your quilts are just beautiful. My favorite quilts are medallion style. We used to be able to buy Quilter's Companion at one of our local quilt stores here, but they no longer carry it. I'm glad you posted about your quilt being published.

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project