The silly season

Well the "silly season" has certainly started around here and I always enjoy digging into the cupboard and bringing out some of my favourite Christmas quilts.  This one is my all time favourite design which I hand pieced and appliqued but machine quilted.
"In the Spirit of Christmas" by Frances Leate
In the studio I have just been flitting from one thing to another with nothing yet ready to photograph - some days I just seem to take one step forward and two backwards but I am sure it will finish up alright in the end.

I am getting ready to start on a another project involving lots of blocks so I decided to prepare some boards where I can lay out the pieces for each block as I cut them and in this way I can cut and sew several blocks at the same time.  I have used some stiff cardboard rescued from discarded packaging and covered it with an offcut of 100% cotton batting.  I fold the batting in two and cut it approximately an inch larger than the card and then sew down each side with my walking foot.  I don't sew the bottom part so that I can slip the card out if I need to use the block boards when travelling.  When you live in my tropical climate the fans and air conditioning often blow fabric pieces of a block about so this is a quick and easy way to keep everything in its place and works well for me.

Talking of wadding I thought I would show you the method I use to join pieces of wadding.  I have made a few runners in recent times and there never seems to be an offcut long enough to do the job so it is very easy to join a couple of pieces.  I first cut a straight edge with a rotary cutter and then I butt two of these straight edges together and then stitch them together on the machine using a walking foot.  My favourite stitch is a curved one and is stitch No 4 on my Bernina.  I usually increase the stitch length slightly and stitch down the join with a matching colour thread. 

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Shirley said…
Great idea for the block keepers. May have to try that one. Love the peaceful Christmas quilt.
Sue-Anne said…
I love your Christmas quilt and what a great idea with the block boards!
Linda said…
Love your quilt Frances. The pieces all fit well together. Great block keeper idea, never thought of that!! I have always joined my wadding like you've explained, and yes, on my trusty Bernina/s too......LOL My sewing life would never have been the same without my beautiful machines. I hope your humidity isn't too unpleasant at the moment. We are looking for some 'promised' rain.....
Maureen said…
Pretty Christmas quilt, Frances. Thanks for the tips!
Joy V said…
Love the Christmas Quilt Frances and the block idea - will make some for myself. I also join my batting the same way, except I use a 'stepped' zig-zag on my Pfaff - it is 4 small stitches across then 4 back. I feel it is flatter (no pulls on the thread) than the normal zig-zag stitch.
Radka said…
What a lovely Christmas quilt, Frances. Yes, it is the silly season, but it will be over before we know, might just as well enjoy it :) I hope it is not too hot and humid for you. We still have more autumn weather then winter and I don't mind, I don't look forward to the real winter.

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project