Some show and tell
Quilts from the Sunday Stitchers made by Jan and Jenny feature this week and first up is Jan with "Vintage Roses" that she began in one of my classes which she has now finished machine quilting..
Another very happy panel quilt made by Jan which she has again finished with her own very effective machine quilting.
To finish off I thought I would show you my one handed attempt at some hand quilting. The quilt top was made for me by Jenny some time back and while I had done all of the machine quilting on the background and border I had put the quilt aside when I ran into some tension difficulties on the owl appliques. For the last few days I have been racking my brain about what I could do while watching TV and came up with the idea of some hand feature quilting. I am stab stitching using a hands-free lap frame and a long Milliners needle with some Valdani 35 weight thread. I can thread the needle with a needle threader that sits on a table but tying the knots are a challenge as is starting and tying off the thread. The stitching on the back will not stand up to close inspection but it has kept me occupied.
Till next time
Frances
![]() |
| Jan with "Vintage Roses" by Frances Leate |
Another very happy panel quilt made by Jan which she has again finished with her own very effective machine quilting.
This quilt was made by Jenny as a gift to Joan who recently lost her little black dog, a long time friend. Jenny has also machine quilted this with a bone motif on the background.
To finish off I thought I would show you my one handed attempt at some hand quilting. The quilt top was made for me by Jenny some time back and while I had done all of the machine quilting on the background and border I had put the quilt aside when I ran into some tension difficulties on the owl appliques. For the last few days I have been racking my brain about what I could do while watching TV and came up with the idea of some hand feature quilting. I am stab stitching using a hands-free lap frame and a long Milliners needle with some Valdani 35 weight thread. I can thread the needle with a needle threader that sits on a table but tying the knots are a challenge as is starting and tying off the thread. The stitching on the back will not stand up to close inspection but it has kept me occupied.
Till next time
Frances


Comments