Day out at the Cairns Show

Once a year the Cairns Show comes to town so I took some time out today to go and have a look at some of the local arts and crafts.  I was delighted to see that Kathy, a Sunday Stitcher, took out 1st Prize in her section for her lovely Baltimore style wall quilt.  Kathy started this quilt in a machine applique class at Cairns Craft Centre and then let her own creativity take over to produce this fabulous quilt.
There was a lovely display of quilts to enjoy and a small red and white quilt which really caught my attention.


I spent some time chatting to Louise and Jenny who were busy in the demonstration area making charity quilts.  They have received fabric and half square triangles from all over the world and have now made 19 quilts which have been donated to specially chosen victims of cyclone Yasi and to other good causes.  Well done girls - a fantastic effort!

When I moved around into the cake decorating area I found some more prize winners - Sue, who won 3rd prize, and her twin children, Caitlin and Dillon, who took out 1st and 2nd prize in the Junior Section.  Sue is a valued member of staff and works for Peter at Cairns Craft Centre looking after the scrapbooking department and is a specialist in the area of cake decorating - well done! 

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Shirley said…
Well done to your ladies on their well deserved prizes and not forgetting the two younger members on their prizes. Great show and tell.
Radka said…
Thank you very much, Frances, for sharing your lovely day with us:-)
It is at shows such as this one, when I always remind myself how much talent there is around!
Linda said…
Thanks Frances for sharing your show with us. Kathy's quilt is superb and she is to be congratulated. I also noticed the red and white quilt has been done by an elderly lady!! Love the cakes, as well as the busy ladies working on charity quilts. What a lovely post again today.
Jen said…
Hello ,Frances,What a most enjoyable day.Thank you for the photos from the show. I agree the small red quilt is lovely. Jen.
Heather said…
Hi Frances, I've just found your blog, the quilts look great - and I love yellow too :)
Joy V said…
Well done to the ladies who have won prizes - a great tribute to you also Frances - you have taught them well.

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project