Block Quilts

I have always enjoyed making quilts designed around traditional blocks from my very first quilt, "Log Cabin Downunder" which featured a range of Australiana fabrics -
to the sampler quilts which have been favoured by me as teaching projects.  I like to teach students as many techniques as possible in classes and these samplers offer a lot of scope for this approach.

Or another style of block quilt is my very popular "Westward Ho" (Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol. 16 No 8).  This quilt uses a traditional centre block with the "54-40 or Fight" Block alternated with my own "Corral" block.

Another favourite class quilt is "Borders Abound" (Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol. 17 No 3) which is a sampler of different border styles. When you make a quilt designed around traditional blocks it is nice to put a pieced border around it.

I always seem to have many projects on the go at once and sometimes it is quite some time before I get to finish a quilt top.  This often means that the appropriate fabric for the border is no longer available so piecing a block enables me to use a lot of fabric left from the main quilt centre and it is easier to slot in others of a similar colour and value.

Well thats all from a fairly water-logged Cairns although we did spot some blue sky today between showers.
Till next time, Frances

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project