Portable Piecing
I enjoy watching TV, DVD's and listening to audio books and while I do this I like to keep my hands busy so I very much enjoy doing some stitching at the same time.
Hand pieced patchwork is portable, compact and lightweight and makes a wonderful project to keep your hand busy when nothing else needs your full attention. It is often easier to piece complicated blocks by hand rather than machine and it is surprising how much you can achieve at a time when you would not normally be working at a machine. On many of my quilts I mix hand and machine stitching and am always happy with the result.
The other thing I like about hand piecing is that it is something I can do when socialising with family and friends.
I also enjoy the portability of this form of patchwork and always take some hand piecing when I travel. This photo of me hand piecing was taken in flight on Singapore Airlines on a recent trip overseas.
Hand pieced patchwork is portable, compact and lightweight and makes a wonderful project to keep your hand busy when nothing else needs your full attention. It is often easier to piece complicated blocks by hand rather than machine and it is surprising how much you can achieve at a time when you would not normally be working at a machine. On many of my quilts I mix hand and machine stitching and am always happy with the result.
The other thing I like about hand piecing is that it is something I can do when socialising with family and friends.
I also enjoy the portability of this form of patchwork and always take some hand piecing when I travel. This photo of me hand piecing was taken in flight on Singapore Airlines on a recent trip overseas.
This is the kit I usually pack when flying with my fabric pieces pre cut and stored in little zip bags. If I am travelling by other means then I usually pack some embroidery scissors on a zinger which I attach to my clothing so the scissors don't go astray.
I will be starting "Stitching by Hand" classes at Cairns Craft Centre in February for anyone keen to learn more about this wonderful form of patchwork.
Till next time
Frances
Comments