Art School

Every year a week long art school called "Artescape" is held at the Tanks Arts Centre in Cairns and last year I enrolled in a "Drawing for Pleasure" class.  I had a theory that if I improved my drawing skills then this would help me improve my free motion machine quilting.

The class was very relaxed and extremely enjoyable and even if I didn't do a lot to improve my quilting skiils then I certainly had a good time.  Some of our sessions were held outdoors in the Botanical Gardens and Centenary Lakes located next to the Tanks Arts Centre

and some sessions were indoors with still life and life models to draw.

There was a lot of talent around and it was fabulous to just wander around and have a look at what was going on in some of the other classes like the watercolour group here.

At some stage I would like to spend some time and work on the techniques I learned during that week but time passes so quickly.  I truly admire people who can draw and wonder if this is the key to being a skilled free motion quilter - maybe I am just not patient enough as I am usually in too much of a hurry to spend the time practising.

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Radka said…
I can't draw to save my life! but I would like to to know, Francis, what is that plant on the second picture from the top?
Shirley said…
I can draw but like a lot of things it is practice or you lose the skills and again like everything else it can be taught. I can machine quilt to some degree but don't like doing it so tell myself that I am not very good. I am not prepared to sit there and practice that long at something I don't enjoy. The surroundings in which you were learning look fabulous and how can you not be inspired to have a go. I think the trick is to enjoy it.
Love Shirley.x

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project