Cairo Tentmakers' Quilt and Log Cabin CWQ Block

While I was checking out a few blogs last night (or I should say very early this morning) I noticed that Barbara Chainey is having a Blog Anniversary Giveaway and the prize is a Tentmaker's applique piece.  This made me remember a quilt I have in my "Interesting Small Quilt" collection which I purchased at AQC (Australasian Quilt Convention) in Melbourne some years ago.  Jenny Bowker (who was living in Cairo at the time) brought to Australia a couple of the Tentmakers of Cairo with a collection of their quilts.  It was a wonderful exhibition but the really amazing part was being able to watch one of the Tentmakers stitching his applique which he did all day throughout the Convention.

Tentmakers of Cairo Quilt
I can't remember how many times I was lured back to watch with fascination this Tentmaker stitching his applique with a needle that looked like a small crowbar and amazingly large scissors (sitting at his side near the water bottle) working at very high speed.  When I slowly needleturn I always need to use a small fine needle and scissors with a very fine sharp point but not this stitcher!

The applique and embroidery on the quilt is amazing and while I was tempted to trim all the loose threads I restrained myself and felt they were part of the charm of the quilt.
Detail of a section of the quilt
The quilt has no batting and the applique pieces are stitched onto a navy solid cotton fabric with a heavy cotton foundation like canvas.  This foundation is the quilt back with the navy fabric on the front taken to the back for the binding.

This is my version of Block 7 of the Civil War Quilt -
"Log Cabin" - Block 7 CWQ

Don't forget, my Giveaway to celebrate the 100 Blog milestone closes at midnight Cairns time tomorrow.

Till next time
Frances

Comments

susis quilts said…
dear frances,very interesting to hear about quilters in egypt,and your block looks wonderful,have a nice week,susi
Sue said…
Barbara came to out quilt group in November and what a great talk it was too. She goes to Cairo every year to teach and buys lots of the quilts. They even say when she is coming down the street - here comes miss Barbara.
You can look here at some photo's
http://shiptonquilters.blogspot.com
Hope you had a wonderful Valentines with Peter.
Sue
Elyte said…
Another lovely block Frances, I like your use of the blue and red.
I remember being at the same exhibition, maybe we walked past each other!
Anonymous said…
How lovely to see your Tentmaker pictures! I'm thinking I'll put some more in my next post ...
Am enjoying your Civil War blocks immensely.
Joy V said…
Love the little quilt Frances. I was there at AQC and saw him doing his stitching, fascinating stuff. Will you be at AQC again this year? I'm doing White Glove duty and also masquerading as a Tutor's helper with Gloria Loughman. If you are coming down will have to arrange time for a coffee and catch-up.
Linda said…
Thanks for sharing the quilt Frances. I'm afraid I had never heard of the Tentmakers, so this is new to me, and fascinating. What a lovely little quilt you have. I love the block you've made, log cabins never date.
Radka said…
Very interesting post, Frances. Thank you for sharing it:)