This and That

It has been a busy week with lots to distract me from starting a new project although I have been tempted several times to do this.  I kept picking up a notebook and jotting down ideas and playing with odd pieces of beautiful fabric and then I remembered that word "focus" and went back to my machine quilting.  Well I finally finished the "Tried and True" quilt and now just have to stitch down the binding and this will be another project off the work table.

When machine quilting some of my favourite tools are these - a marking pencil with ceramic leads which disappears with the aid of the eraser and I wouldn't be without my Hera marker and unpicker.

I have tried lots of different gloves and only use them in the Tropical Summer when I am in cool airconditioning but my current favourites are the Machingers which I use with the Walking Foot and the Ansell HyFlex Multi Purpose Gloves for free motioning quilting.  The HyFlex gloves come from the Supermarket and I have found that they grip the fabric really well while being quite light to wear.

I have also managed to keep up to date with my Civil War Quilt blocks and finished Block 8 "Cotton Boll".  I can't tell you enough how much I am enjoying making these blocks and it is like a mystery quilt as I don't know what the next block will be until it comes up on my computer each Sunday morning.
"Cotton Boll" - Block 8 CWQ

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Shirley said…
Hi Frances, love the fussy cutting on your cotton boll block, very nice. I love my Hera marker too. Everyone should have one of them in their kit. One day I will get over my inertia to machine quilt and maybe then I will get more finishes. Well done to you for perseverance.
Love Shirley.x
Elyte said…
Ah, focus, yes, you must be much more disciplined that I!
I finished machine quilting my table runner last night. I am just learning the craft and while I was practising everything was fluid and flowing. Then with the "real" project in front of me I froze.
Anyway, I took the leap and if you don't look too close, it's passable.
Your cotton boll looks great, you have cut and pieced perfectly.
Susan said…
Thanks for the quilting glove tips- I'm not sure yet whether I want to use gloves or not, as I am a bit of a novice!
Micki said…
I love your block! What kind of Civil War fabric are you using?
Micki
Linda said…
Hello Frances. I just LOVE your 'cotton boll' block, I love border or strip design fabrics. This block uses that type of fabric very well indeed. I can't wait to see more of this, it's an exciting journey. I can see the quilt having it's binding done is going to be a beauty as well. I am very interested in your tools, and I love my fine chalk marker pencil too. I have been absent for a few days, the weather is awful here, no airconditioning in my office!! Hope all is well up there.
antique quilter said…
oh I love your fabric choice for your block.
perfect choice
Kathie
Dianne said…
Everything is matching up so well in your cotton boll block. It has turned out beautifully. Thanks for telling us about the gloves. Dianne.

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project