Civil War Quilt Blocks

I put Block16 - "White House" - together earlier which means I am now up todate with this project.  It was a lot of fun playing with these blocks today and having a look at them up on the design wall.  I have used lots of different fabrics although so far I have kept to my original colour scheme of teal, red, brown and creams/beiges.

CWQ Quilt - Blocks 1 - 16

Earlier in the week I made Block 15 "Fort Sumter" - a great block -
"Fort Sumter" - Block 15 CWQ

and today I worked on "White House".  I made a slight change in the method of construction as I decided to avoid the challenge of aligning the stripes which would happen if I cut a square and then a separate triangle as shown in Barbara Brackman's pattern.  Instead, I cut a rectangle from my border print fabric and then placed a light square on the end, sewed across the diagonal and then flipped back the corner to make a triangle.  This method was very easy and worked a treat.
"White House" - Block 16 CWQ

There has also been lots of blanket stitching happening here and the "orts" in my jar are growing.

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Maureen said…
Very smart to modify that block! It looks great as does all the blocks together on your design wall. What are "orts"?
Shirley said…
The blocks all together look really good Frances and it is going to be a great quilt. I like how you have made the fabric work for you. Your jar will be very colourful.
Love Shirley.x
Radka said…
It is looking good, Frances:)
Linda said…
The blocks all have something special in their own right don't they. The Fort Sumter block has very strong design lines to it. I am sure you'll put it all together in a very pleasing manner. I really love the strong, slightly murky colours.
Vivian said…
I like the fabrics you've chosen, and congrat's for being caught up. I fear I have a little way to go. One of these weeks I'll have a furious catch-up session and be back on track.

I thought about making the White House block as you did, rather than trying to match cuts of stripes. I'm sure I'll follow your lead in the furious catch-up session mentioned above.

What's your definition of orts? I have a blogging friend whose blog is "Annie's Quilt Orts," so your note about the threads in your jar caught my attention.

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Civil War Blocks