Waiting for Yasi
At 2.00 pm on Tuesday afternoon when I took this photo of the garden outside the studio it was hard to believe that a severe tropical cyclone called "Yasi" is off our shores and heading straight for the Cairns area. The latest bulletin has upgraded the severe cyclone to a category 4 and they have forecast that it will cross the coast just to the south of Cairns about 10.00 pm Wednesday so I don't think I will be doing a lot of sleeping in the next day or so.
We have been given a lot of instructions and there are standard procedures to follow which we are all well informed about and we were all told to secure the outside of homes before dark on Tuesday because Wednesday will bring ever increasing wind and rain. Peter spent the afternoon clearing our courtyard and dismantling the sail over the top of it (the first time it has come down since it was put up nearly 4 years ago). I spent my time doing lots of things that needed power because there is no doubt that we will lose this some time in the afternoon and then who knows when it will be reconnected. We have also been warned that our water supply will be cut off before the cyclone and all things going well will be connected when all danger is passed so the first thing I will do in the morning is fill water containers and the bath tub so there is water to refill the cisterns so we can flush the loos.
A big worry is the storm surge that will follow the cyclone and because of this many people in the city and coastal areas have been told to evacuate their homes. Our two main hospitals in town evacuated patients today sending serious cases to Brisbane and others home.
Like a truly dedicated stitcher I have some hand piecing on hand that can be worked with a small LED light and I plan to do this to keep my nerves intact while all hell breaks loose outside.
All we can do now is wait, pray and hope for a happy outcome.
Till next time
Frances
Comments
You are obviously going stick to the true pioneer spirit and continue stitching.
Good Luck
Sue x
Love Shirley.x
Stay safe
Christine
That said, I do hope it is not going to be as bad as you fear, it certainly does sound scary.
Will be thinking about you, take care:))