"Journey" or "Destination"?

What is the thing you enjoy most about quilting - the "journey" or the "destination"?  I have been thinking about this question while I have been stitching over the last couple of days and I have come to the conclusion that most definitely the journey is the all time important thing to me.  I love every aspect of my quilting journey - the design phase and then the stitching and bringing all the elements of the quilt together.  However, I must admit that once everything is working in the quilt to my satisfaction I often get distracted by a new project and usually need a nudge or deadline to finish a quilt.  I know that a lot of people always have the destination in mind and quilt just so they can have beautiful things around them but to me this is just an added bonus.

I have been doing a lot of hand stitching lately and have been enjoying the beautiful weather that we currently have in Cairns - warm sunny days with a bright blue sky!

Grevillea tree outside our studio

I hope everyone has a very happy Easter and keeps safe over this extended holiday period.

Till next time
Frances

Comments

Maureen said…
Frances, I think I know exactly what you mean - once I can see that a project is going to work, I tend to go onto something else. Is it that the challenge isn't there? or the suspense? Not sure. I also go onto something else when I can see it isn't working and I need to rethink what I'm doing. I love every step of the way - even, and maybe especially, that last step of hand stitching the binding down. Recently, I've been enjoying the hand work more. I'm a little frustrated with my free motion machine quilting. Working with anything bigger than a lap quilt is like wrestling a sleeping bear. It just isn't fun and I am often unhappy with the results. It's about the journey - the destination is icing on the cake!
Maureen said…
Got wrapped up in my other thoughts and forgot to say - cute, cute bunny quilt!
Anonymous said…
I also enjoy the journey...that is why I tend to start out on so many different journeys! LOL Happy Resurrection Day!
Shirley said…
I think I love the thrill of starting something new rather than the finish. Sometimes the journey is a real hard slog and uphill but then you get to a point when it all comes together and you can see the end in sight. Don't get there often enough but the planning is good fun.
Fantastic weather here Frances - you would think it was high summer instead of spring.
Happy Easter to you all.
Love Shirley.x
Linda said…
I, too enjoy the journey Robin. I love planning and executing a new design, be it patchwork/quilting or embroidery. The destination I suppose is the obvious bonus for having used one's talents. Love the bunny quilt, too cute.
Unknown said…
I also love the Journey and is easily distracted too like so many others..
Am popping over from christine's to say HI...
Elyte said…
I think we must all be the same, the journey is the part I like. There is distraction around every corner. But what a feeling of satisfaction looking at the finished product as long as the desired result is achieved. Disappointments are not much fun.
Radka said…
I love the start of the journey, the "thinking about it" stage, planning and shopping! I also get distracted when the project is under way, a big problem for me, mainly if it is not going so well; at this point it is so easy to switch to something else :(
But I love to see the finished piece around me!
Love the bunny quilt!

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Dish, DWR and friends

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Quilt Patterns on Cosy Project