Quilts for Christmas
With Christmas only 4 weeks away I decided it was time to add some Christmas decoration to the house and Studio. I always feel nostalgic when I do this as so many of the quilts have a special meaning or were made for a specific purpose or to try a new technique.
My absolute favourite is "In the Spirit of Christmas" which was stitched and appliqued by hand using lots of different techniques. The original purpose for designing this quilt was for teaching lots of different applique techniques and it was a very popular design. Some years later I made another version of this quilt where I changed a lot of the blocks and used only fusible applique and foundation piecing. The new quilt was featured on the cover of Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol 17 No 4 and as a project inside this issue.
My absolute favourite is "In the Spirit of Christmas" which was stitched and appliqued by hand using lots of different techniques. The original purpose for designing this quilt was for teaching lots of different applique techniques and it was a very popular design. Some years later I made another version of this quilt where I changed a lot of the blocks and used only fusible applique and foundation piecing. The new quilt was featured on the cover of Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol 17 No 4 and as a project inside this issue.
This Christmas Colourwash Quilt was made from a project in Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol 7 No 10 and was designed by Susan Cooper. I wanted to try out the colourwash technique which was popular at the time and it was the first time I tried free motion quilting.
This Christmas Mixture was from a pattern by Sue Brownlie and was a fun quick applique project.
"Yuletide Gathering" is a table runner I designed a couple of years ago as a mystery project for my Sunday Stitching group. The project for this quilt appeared in Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol 18 No 6.
"Oh Tannenbaum" was a stitchery pattern from DMC. It was originally a very small design but I enlarged it slightly and added a border to make a small wallhanging.
"Christmas Fare" was a fun small quilt I designed as a class project using the EZ Tri Recs Ruler and appliqued the Dresden Plate onto a pieced background.
Its great to give these favourite quilts an airing. I love making Christmas projects and have lots more WIPs.
Till next time
Frances
Comments
Thank you for your visit.I much rather be where you are!