Sydney Powerhouse Museum

On a recent trip South Peter and I spent quite a bit of time visiting the Sydney Powerhouse Museum where we found much to interest us.  A current exhibition was "The 80s are back" which explores Australian life and popular culture in the 1980s.   On display was one of the hundreds of quilts made in that era as part of the Australian AIDS Memorial Quilt Project which began in 1988 to provide a focus for the expression of community grief as the Aids epidemic grew.  The quilt was lying flat in a raised display case which made it difficult to photograph.


In the Museum there was a Lace Study Centre and Peter and I spent quite a bit of time chatting to Rae and Bev who are volunteers from the NSW Tatting Guild.  It was wonderful to spend this time chatting with such committed and passionate lace makers.  The drawers in the Centre were full of wonderful treasures and it is well worth a visit if you have the opportunity.

Our attention was also captured by the Strasburg Clock which is a model of the clock in Notra Dame Cathedral in Strasburg.  We enjoyed watching this clock go through its paces several times.

Till next time
Frances



Comments

Radka said…
Thank you for your comment, Frances:) I am very pleased I got the magazine with your hanging, I will try to get the Christmas one as well. God only knows when I will do it, but I like it too much not to have it!